We're fixin to buy a farm.
After moving back to my hometown of Twin City, Ga from Johns Creek, a suburb of Atlanta, Ga, we had searched for almost a year for the right piece of property for our family of five. We moved into my Grandma Jane's adorable 1950's home which was about 1300 square feet (a big shift from the 2600 + basement/garage house we moved from) on two acres just inside the city limits. We really loved it and considered buying her house after making it home for almost a year, but we both had the itch to look for some property in the country.
Meet the Boatrights - Mrs. Libby and Mr. Al. They live full time in Florida but travel to their farmhouse in Twin City a few times a year. The house was inherited from her parents and was the house she grew up in along with three brothers and one sister. The house has been in their family for over 70 years.
They invited Brett in that day he knocked on their door and heard our story of looking for a property and falling in love with theirs. We love to watch the sunset and we would ride down the road that this house was on to watch beautiful sunsets capturing a rolling pasture, cows, fences, ponds and pine trees. We learned that the property was just the right size for us at just under 25 acres with a pond and a small farm house built in 1893 (best our records can tell).
- Room for garden and maybe animals = 24 acres with cows already on property! and plenty of room for our chicken coop
- Porches = front and back porches equipped with swings and rockers
- Pond = 6 acre pond loaded with huge bass (may be a fish tale, but we shall see)
- Room for trees = we love older established trees - the property has several old pecan trees and cypress and oak trees down by the pond
- Simple home that meets our needs = folks who lived in 1890s definitely lived simply! Not that we're going to build an outhouse or anything, but we're looking forward to embracing simple living!
- Space for kids to be kids = with a bathroom with a door to the porch, I'm pretty sure that qualifies as kid friendly
- No clutter/excess = not much room for excess with 1270 square feet! Thankfully we've had practice at Grandma's.